Dr. King was a prolific and eloquent wordsmith, very much in touch with his own humanity and that of others. Instead of posting feel good quotes that are out of context, I suggest actually reading his powerful work. It is a life changer.
Five lesser known facts about Dr. King:
- He was not a pacifist. He was a savvy strategist who was always integrating new learning into his goals.
- His favorite foods included peach cobbler, macaroni and cheese, collard greens, quilly (a fruit concoction with whipped cream named and created by his mother), and pickled eggs.
- He suffered from clinical depression and was hospitalized several times as a psychiatric patient. His closest confidants were entrusted with this information which was not made public because of the stigma against mental health issues that could be used by his opponents.
- We Desi folks would likely not be here without his efforts and campaigns. He fought for South Asian civil rights for immigration and humane treatment at a time when there was huge anti-South Asian backlash in the country.
- He was an anti-poverty crusader who believed in quality of life and a living income for all. His final book ’where do we go from here; chaos or community?’ published in 1967, detailed specific strategies to eliminate poverty.