When you feel a wave of anxiety, these are tools that you can use wherever you are.
Your breath is your friend.
- Acknowledge to yourself that anxiety is occurring.
- Remember that you’ve dealt with this before, and you made it through.
- EXHALE a long breath. Yes, exhale. You’re letting it out first.
- Give yourself a self statement. I’ve done this before, and I will be OK.
- Breathe in deeply.
- Exhale. Repeat.
- Place your hand on your belly. Feel the air going in and out. You are solidly being there for yourself.
Deep breathing lowers your heart rate, reduces stress hormones, and lowers your blood pressure.
Your breath and you: Allies.
Also see: The Anxiety Toolkit.