Equipoise. It refers to a balance of interests or forces. It doesn’t diminish the importance or impact of the other. These are just a few examples of how you can actively hold and honor opposing emotional experiences with therapeutic effects.
- Loneliness: Video call or meet with someone that you love and care about.
- Unneeded: Care for your companion animal. With affection, massage them, groom them, validate how special they are to you.
- Unwanted: Spend an evening or a full day nurturing yourself. Make yourself something nourishing to eat, curl up in your softest pajamas, watch a movie that brings you joy. See On The Power of the Self-hug.
- Anxious: Do mindful breathing to self-soothe, visual imagery, and progressive muscle relaxation. See our Anxiety Toolkit for more info.
- Not good enough: Remind yourself of your strengths. Coming soon – The Self Resume: The CV that Counts.
- Down/Blue: The Reboot: Call it a night. Or day. Sleep, watch your favorite movie or show, unplug. If you have to do something, focus on a mindless chore. Fighting our feelings is exhausting. Replenish first and come back to fight another day.
Equipoise, a momentary counterbalance with cumulative effects.