Your relationship with yourself is the most defining factor in shaping the kind of life you live, especially in interactions with your friends, colleagues, work, and family.
Think of the people in your life that you love and respect. How do you treat them? Do you want to protect them when they are hurting? Do you listen to their dreams and goals? Do you tell them that you appreciate them and they are cherished?Do you believe in them and what they want to accomplish?
Chances are, you are kind to them, patient with their thoughts and ideas, fierce when they are in pain, and you forgive them when they make a mistake. You give them space, time, and opportunity; you make sure they have the room to grow because you love them enough to believe in the potential of their growth.
Now think of how you treat yourself.
Do you give yourself the love and respect that you might give your closest friends/loved ones?
Do you take care of your body, your mind, and your goals?
Here are ways that you could be showing your body and mind self-love in your everyday life:
- Sleeping properly
- Eating well. This includes meal prepping, trying delicious new foods, and sitting down to eat in a mindful way
- Giving yourself time and space when you’re having a bad day￼
- Exercising regularly
- Engaging in physical touch, affection, cuddles, intimacy￼
- Thanking yourself and those around you
- Spending time in nature
- Playing when you need it
- Praying when you need it, or other spiritual practices
- Avoiding vices and toxic influences
- Reflecting and meditating. Meditation does not have to be seated. You can lie down, walk, move while focusing on your breath.
- Saying no
I’m starting a weekly accounting with clients. What has worked to support you this week, what was not so great? ￼The daily you, 24/7, with edits.
Also see: Self-Care is Often a Very Un-Beautiful Thing.