It takes work to shift your thoughts, but what is most important that you start taking small actions that signify “I have value.”
Take Small Actions
What does that look like on a daily basis?
- Offering your opinion.
- Speaking up in a crowded room.
- Sitting in the front row.
- Sending your order back when it’s wrong.
- Buying yourself a gift that you really wanted.
- Sharing the artwork or writing you keep secret with a friend.
- Saying “thank you” (and just “thank you”) when you get a compliment.
- Saying “no” to things you don’t want to do.
- Not buying friends. You don’t have to pay for stuff to be loved or valued.
- Asking for what you need.
- Asking for what you just want.
- Giving yourself a day off, an hour off, or even a few minutes off. You don’t have to be on all the time.
- Making a habit of exerting yourself. You can do this without being an a-hole.
Be Prepared for Pushback
Be aware that when you start practicing “I have value” in your daily life, it can upset the people who have benefited from you not valuing yourself. They’ve been getting a pretty good deal, and now you’re changing the rules! So be prepared for a little push-back, and gently keep pushing forward. Some people might even drift away from you if your value was predominantly for their good, not yours.
What’s ONE action that you can take TODAY that signifies “I have value”?